Wednesday, February 18, 2009

SilkiesSilkiesSilkiesSilkiesAndPlusAlsoMoreSilkies

What we have here are silkies. Lots of them. Silkies and two pug lovebirds sharing an afternoon delight on el sofa.

On Monday, I spent a lovely afternoon at my new friend Hillary's house dyeing raw silk pieces that we bought. And Jack totally got to meet a girl--Hillary's precious daughter Tait, who showered him with kisses and attention. We made a great team, the four of us, and the nontoxic dyeing process was ridiculously simple. I have stained a bevy of Formica countertops in my lifetime with Kool-Aid, but I had never thought of using it to dye anything else. But Hillary found a great recipe online, and that was that. (Now I'm wondering about the state of my intestines from childhood Kool-Aid consumption...Are they bluepurpleredgreen still?) So that was our secret ingredient. OH, YEAH!

And now Jack has little playsilks and big playsilks for all his open-ended-play needs. He will have a canopy to drape over his playstands (on order as I type). He will have hankies to stuff up his sleeves and perform delightful little magic tricks. He'll have capes and fort walls and mummy-wrap a-plenty. And lots of other things that my grown-up brain can't even imagine.